Monday, June 27, 2011

Marmot Halo 6

One of the questions I've been asked is "why are you changing from your hammocks to a tent"?  First, after ten years of camping in my Clark Jungle Hammock (http://www.junglehammock.com/), the last four with my son in his as well, I tried wholeheartedly to convince the wife that she would be happiest either in a Clark or a Hennessy Hammock (http://www.hennessyhammock.com/).  I failed.  She keeps calling it a "bear burrito".  She also said my Black Diamond Beta Bug tent was for "exhibitionists".  So, after a bit of research, we settled on the Marmot Halo 6 for a family of three. 

Once the dining room furniture was sold, I had to set it up inside to see how it went together.  The Marmot goes from this diminutive 20 pound stuff sack:

 to this room-swallowing monster quickly and easily even with only one mildly intoxicated person wrangling it:


We picked the Marmot for it's peak height of 75 inches - quite a change from my hammock with a "peak height" of about 24 inches, and the fact that it has a slightly greater thickness of polyurethane on the fly (polyester with 1800mm PU) and the floor (nylon with 3000mm PU) than the other brands we looked at.  This is our first foray into tent camping since our son got comfortable sleeping alone in his hammock in 2007, so I will keep updating our experience as we go, and put up some real pix as soon as we get it set up in a real camping spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment