Saturday, July 16, 2011

Roanoke Weiner Stand - Hot Dog Title Fight!

Given our plan of driving about 5,000 miles in the next five months, the last thing I want to do is turn this into Hot Dog Wars.  With the number of great hot dog stands in this country, I'd be grabbing my chest somewhere around Albuquerque.  However, no trip along I-81 is complete without a stop at the Roanoke Weiner Stand.  Located in downtown Roanoke on the market, this place is an iconic landmark that has been serving the best hot dogs in America for almost 100 years!  Having said that, my wife - who was not born in America - liked the hot dog from Willie's Wee-Nee Wagon better.  My son and I, both born here in the USA, prefer the Roanoke Weiner Stand dog all the way.  To be fair, Willie's pork chop sandwich and fries have no peer...but the chili and the dog are better at the Roanoke Weiner Stand.


While it looks empty, notice that they are packing dogs into boxes on the counter above...while I stood in line, I watched over 48 dogs go out the door with four customers!  As well, I figured it was better to wait for the guys on the bikes with the long hair and patches to get up and leave before I took the interior pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Family reunion food was tasty as well! Great seeing you and thanks for blogging.

    Safe Travels!
    patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forget Man vs. Food, I will be following Open Air when I am traveling and seeking out places to eat! I love trying new places! Stacey

    ReplyDelete