Thursday, July 28, 2011

Verizon gamble pays off - Verizon Droid 3 spanks AT&T iPhone 3GS !!!

During the trip to VA and DC, we spent a lot of time traveling through rural areas, and our AT&T service was not reliable.  However, Verizon seemed to have a wireless store in every town, so we asked around.  No surprise, the locals all favored Verizon.  Since we will be traveling almost primarily in rural areas for the next six months, I fired AT&T and finally turned my ancient AT&T RAZR V3 (which has worked flawlessly for me on four continents and through a half-dozen hurricanes) into a brand new Verizon Droid 3.

The bet paid off over the last two days as we cancel our lives in Orlando and hit the road. 

First, the iPhone hotspot didn't work on my laptop.  It worked fine on my wife's, which I assume is because she has iTunes installed.  Sorry, but I don't want iTunes on my business laptop.  It's not a jukebox, it's a toolbox.  So, strike one on the iPhone and AT&T.  Second, the Droid 3 worked out of the box the first time as a hotspot, no modifications required.  Not only did it work, it provided a good connection for three laptops simultaneously, again with no problems and no need to install some Apple Bloatware on all our computers.  Third, as my wife was chatting with a great friend of ours from NYC, we topped out on a small hill and headed down the other side, and you could almost hear Emeril saying "BAM, you're in the boonies"!  The AT&T iPhone dropped the call like a hot potato, so I simply said "call her back on my Verizon phone".  It worked.

AT&T 0  Verizon 3

No comments:

Post a Comment