Thursday, August 18, 2011

Picking the Fruit

It's finally time to pay homage to Anton Chekov in the byline above.  Today was all about picking the fruit.  We hiked Hot Creek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Creek_(Mono_County,_California)) as a prelude to our trip to Yellowstone.



Surrounded by trout fishermen, we hiked the quick mile-and-a-half downstream to smell the sulphur and see the boiling springs.  The surprising thing was that there were no mosquitoes.  I guess the trout must eat enough larvae to keep the population down, as this was a first for this trip - a creek side hike without swarms of bloodthirsty airborne leeches.  Too soon, we reached the springs.



After the hike came the reward.  Yesterday in Von's (http://local.vons.com/ca/mammoth-lakes-2400.html), I picked up 2 lbs of blueberries for $5, so it was time to try my first gluten-free pie crust.  I baked it a bit too long - not sure if this has to do with the quinoa flour, or with the altitude, or both.  It still tastes great!



As an added bonus, here's another picture.  I was told that most of the bears in town hang out in the tunnels and culverts during the day, so I thought I would climb through a few culverts and get a "bear's-eye view of the Eastern Sierras".



No comments:

Post a Comment